Up until 1937, Duxford operated a succesion of fighters including the Gloster Grebe, Armstrong Whitworth Siskin, Bristol Bulldog, and the Gloster Gauntlet.
In the summer of 1938, it saw the first example of the Supermarine Spitfire (serial K9792).
Hurricanes also arrived at Duxford during 1940 under the command of Douglas Bader.
Later Bader took command of three squadrons which formed a wing.
Later Duxford operated the Meteor F8 and night fighter meteors.
In 1952, the Hawker Hunter arrived and in 1958, Gloster Javelins replaced the Meteors.
This aircraft was entrusted to 19 Squadron, which went down in history as the first operational Spitfire Squadron.
At the start of the Second World War, Duxford was home to other Spitfire Squadrons and a Blenheim Mk IF Squadron which operated in the fighter role and commanded by Flight Lieutenant Douglas Bader.
In 1947, Duxford was home to its first Jet aircraft, the Meteor III which was flown using the old PSP runway but in 1951 a new concrete runway was built.In 1920, it was home for 2 Flying Training School with the Avro 504, Bristol F2B fighter and DH9A, and later Sopwith Snipes.Later 2 Flying Training School moved to Leicestershire and RAF Duxford became a fighter aircraft station operating the Sopwith Snipe.In addition to the Imperial War Museum and Cambridgeshire County Council, the Duxford Aviation Society (DAS) plays an important role in many practical ways through the efforts of its volunteer membership.Duxford is also home to many private aircraft collections such as The Fighter Collection (TFC), the Old Flying Machine Company (OFMC), and The Aircraft Restoration Company etc.
The last operational RAF flight from Duxford was in 1961 as Duxford didnt have the facilities to accept the new BAC Lightning fighter and was geographically located too far from the North-East coast which was where the new percieved threat was most likely to come from.